Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Change Is a Good Thing: My 2015 Goals

A new year typically means a new you. It's the time to start fresh, make changes, and improve yourself any way you wish. 

I've definitely been feeling this, but I've never been one to make new year's resolutions. In the past I have found them futile and not something I have ever stuck to, unfortunately. So this year I thought I would make goals instead in hopes they will be more practical to stick to. I have always been told that writing something down makes it more real and helps you remember or stick to what you wrote down more so than if you didn't. So that is precisely what I'm doing!

I've narrowed down my goals to five general statements, so here it goes...


1. Take better care of myself. Now that I'm 20, I have really started to think about how I treat my body and the effects it has. I must admit that I love food and really dread exercising, a terrible combination. So I am resolving to only put good things into my body (with the occasional treat of course!), keep my portions normal and exercise on purpose at least once a week. This probably sounds like nothing for exercise to some, but considering my current exercise is walking around campus for daily activities, this is a good place to start. I plan to increase this to two and then three days a week as my dedication and motivation increases. I also have been looking into more natural skincare products and makeup (Tarte is one of my faves!) to really treat my skin right.

2. Strengthen my walk with Jesus. Ever since giving my life to Christ a little over a year ago I have grown in so many ways. So I want to keep this growth going. I plan to read my Bible every day and read at least one Christian book a month. I also want to not only pray everyday, but also be in constant communication with God. I know the more I talk to God, the closer my relationship with Him is. I hope to also develop just by leading my daily life. Whether it's through the people I interact with or the new things I learn about myself, I welcome learning and developing from anyone, anything, and anywhere.


3. Take more risks. I have always been very conservative in my actions. I do what is comfortable and what I'm good at, but since coming to college I have found this rather boring and often leading to nights spent alone in my dorm room. Yet, I have the hardest time pushing myself out of my comfort zone. So I've decided to take more adventures! Whether it's with friends or alone, I want to experience new things on and off my campus.


4. Experience more of the world around me. College life is busy and on a campus positioned in the suburbs, I don't get off campus much. This past semester I found this absolutely drove me nuts and I developed this feeling of being in a bubble where the outside world didn't exist anymore. Luckily, this feeling has past while being on winter vacation, but I am making it my mission to prevent this "bubble" from occurring this upcoming semester. So, in connection with number four's goal, I'm resolving to experience the world around me! I don't know what opportunities will come my way but I plan to say "Yes!" more often than I say "No."


5. Discover more about myself. Your twenties is a time of self-discovery and I plan to take full advantage of this. Since being at college and becoming a Christian I have already uncovered so much about myself...but I know there is more. I'm going to let God take the lead, life take its course and embrace any new discoveries I make. This is Discovering Emilie after all!


I really feel like this is my year. I have this weird yet awesome sense that this will be the year where great things happen, things that impact me (hopefully positively!) forever. But whether this happens or not, I hope I can look back on my year and think/say "Yay! I accomplished my goals."


Good luck to you as you venture into 2015. I hope it is everything you want it to be!


With love,
Emilie

No comments :

Post a Comment